Thursday, December 15, 2011

Get out of the fast lane

Why are you going under the speed limit in the fast lane? There is plenty of room for you to get over and let me get past you. Perhaps you are unaware that the far left lane is for people who wish to get to their destination more quickly? Well, it is, so get over. Perhaps you think that it is unsafe to change lanes? Let me assure it is more unsafe for me to sit behind you, seething at your incompetence until I get the chance to swerve around you while I quickly accelerate. You are the one causing unsafe conditions. You are a bad driver and I hate you.

And lets not forget you, Mr. "I'm going exactly the speed limit in the fast lane." I know that technically if I pass you I am speeding, but so what? The speed limit is definitely too low for this highway, and I have places to be. If you want to go the speed limit go to the middle lane like everyone else. Argh! You know what? Forget it. You are a bad driver and I hate you too.

4 comments:

  1. First off, here in TN we're allowed to do 10MPH over in cities and 15MPH over on the interstate. The HOV lane isn't strongly enforced but if you're caught the cop might just signal you to get out. I use the HOV lane by myself because I know these things and I get out when people want to move faster than me.

    In the afternoon, single people will be breaking the HOV law (far left lane) but will be... DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT. Yesterday I saw a family of people in the HOV driving slower than the three other lanes of traffic. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the HOV lane!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not sure what you think the HOV lane is for.. but it's not for speeding. HOV stands for high occupancy vehicle and it's there to promote car pooling / ride sharing, to lessen the overall traffic on the highways. it has nothing to do with driving faster, but it does tend to be faster because less people are allowed to use it. if an officer sees you in that lane by yourself, he will pull you over, even if you aren't holding anyone up.

    also, it's not that you are ALLOWED to go 10MPH over in the cities and 15MPH over on the highways, it's just leniency. if an officer wants to, he can pull you over for going those speeds or even less, and if you think you can say "but i am allowed to go X amount over the speed limit!", you are mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to assume the user lives in an area where there is no HOV lane. I agree with him 100% here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing more infuriating than the "I was going the speed limit" excuse when I pull people over for slowing down the flow of the fast lane. I pull people over for that twice as often as speeding.

    I think people feel like they're the highway hall-monitor. They decide that they're going fast enough and other people don't need to be going any faster. If you want to enforce the speed limit, then go to the police academy. Otherwise, quit being a dick.

    New rule: Even if you're going 20mph over the speed limit in the left lane, if I'm going faster than you...MOVE OVER!

    ReplyDelete